Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Rosencrantz.

just a name.  or is it?  Is it a curtain?  Is it the dividing line between those who know random Shakespeare characters or who really like Tim Roth and Gary Oldman (oooooohhhhh me me me!)  I could name weird Dr. Who stuff. or Monty Python skits or Jane Austen characters.  Or True Blood episodes or or or.  ummm 50 shades details . . . . :D

does it divide or unite?  yes.  If you are part of the cool kids you are united - cuz well,  you KNOW!  If not? you are divided into the goat pen (yet another reference far too few get,  but should - read the freaking BIBLE people!)  but what I am saying is that I have fought this urge since I recognized it's exclusivity at an early (okay who are we kidding? I wanted to be cool more than air!) I wanted to be part of the cool kids- the cool clique and when that didn't happen in high school I took my weird quirks on the road.  Met other weird quirky lovelies and we rocked our weirdness as a collective.   Less of the tight fitting clothing than the Borg - but no less a collective.  We assimilated in a way.  All collectives do.  I guess that is what humans do.  We want to know where we fit and who we fit with.  Mammals just do that.  Case in point.

When my kids were little Tim happened upon a dog that he thought would be good for the family.  She was a rescued Pit.  My inner response was a conflicted version of  ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING WE HAVE BABIES! and I TRUST THAT YOU GOT THIS SINCE I DON'T THINK YOU WOULD FEED YOUR KIDS TO A MONSTER..

in came Shira.  she will be -  to this day,  my favorite dog.  (okay maybe Bella is in front but I really can't decide - it's close!)

Shira did this one thing that forever set her in my heart.  After we had her for a while she decidedly but gingerly nipped Liam in the butt.  No blood. and she watched me the whole time.  I smacked the crap out of her and she put her head down and laid down peacefully.  A week or so later she nipped Trin the same way and I responded the same.  She did the same.  Then she did Aislinn.  I smacked her really hard since Aislinn was really little.  She looked at me with eyes you can only get from a very very intelligent animal and it was with relief that she sighed and took her rightful place in our "pack" as the dog.  She just needed to know where in our family she fit.  She was happy to be the dog - she just needed to know.  She just needed to know who her pack was and who she ran with.  She was fine with us and I love her and miss her so much.

I have a hard time with divisions though.  I like fitting and good fits.  but separation and division.  They are hard for me.  I guess that is how we are wired though.  It should be hard to separate and SHOULD be hard to divide.  we are one collective after all.

let me not to the marriage of true minds admit impediments. . . . sorry.  it's one of those nights.

No comments:

Post a Comment