Monday, January 21, 2013

that thing you do . . .

"You know that one thing we do one night every year, ". . . "OH YES Estiban".  . . . "well, we still have 3 months to go. .  "

if you can actually name this movie without IMDBing it you may have been a first time subscriber to Cable in the early 80's.

if you can name it.  I'll knit you something special.  bring it baby.

Now for something completely different.

I know I have sorta riffed on this before - that certain thing.  That thing that defines you as well,,,,,,, you.

I would love to think that I am more than JUST ass-length Irish Setter red hair and knitting prowess . .  but well ?  I  - at least own those two things.  I am MOST certainly more than that.  I would love to add great mom, good friend and sister,  great cook and adventurous eater.  Certainly not least LOVER and follower of Jesus.  But it's the things we see as the bumpouts  - the real things that we put to the forefront that really really make who we are.

For real, I am stopped in almost every store or venue by someone; by male or female to comment on my hair.  I have amazing hair.  I do.  I own that.  It's big and thick and the stuff lights up like a freaking ROMAN CANDLE in the sun.  WHY? short answer -  because I'm allergic to hair dye. huh?  hear me out.

I have always had a lot of hair.  I just do.  The thickness is really not manufactured it just is that thick.  Thanks mom.  That I can't say is anything but DNA.  Perms took quite literally HOURS.  My hair was stick straight.  I remember one perm taking 7 hours and I could not pick my head up out of the sink.  The weight alone was too much.  But I've been doing horrible nasty chemical based things to my head honestly longer than I can remember.  Really I was Brady Bunch era.  Perms were just the rage.

I colored it for the first time (not counting peroxide and sunshine or Sun-in) in College.  Went from Blonde to Burgundy/Pinot Noir red.

Got Married.  stayed red.ish.

Had kids.  let hair grow.

stayed red

got bored.  dyed blond.

another baby

dyed BLACK.  5 boxes. life as I knew it then stopped.

Head blew up.  Doctors involved.  Here's where stuff really went south.  3 dollar box of Cheap walmart dye will never be fun again.  Oh wait.  I choose life and not having my skin peel off again.  It was bad.  You - if you use color of ill-repute - need to rethink.

paraphenylenediamine (aka ppd)


I can never use "walmart" dye again.  ever.  PPD is actually a horrible chemical.  I won't beat anyone up who "CAN"use it but after almost losing my hair and (more importantly) my life I'll just say it's not pretty.

SO....  In comes henna.  Henna is an herb.  It's grown in the Middle East.  I like mine specifically from Yemen.  Though Saudi Arabia has some nice crops as well.

Brides get Henna tattoos.  It is said while the tattoo is still visible on her hands she need not do any work.  They like that shit to STICK!.   So we terp it.  Terping is adding essential oils so that it really gets in.  I use tea tree oil because my body likes TTO.  And because it terps like a mofo.

If you see a henna tattoo at a flea market or fair and it is Black.  um. run.  true henna is red.  or orange.  Indigo is blue/black but rarely done.   In fact I don't think they can.  Henna is red/orange.

SO my liability became my asset.  Henna makes your hair grow faster.  Repels insects (Goodbye LICE!) and thickens it.  My braid weights 4lbs.  Indian women who see me at the grocery store smile since they know why my hair looks the color it does.  :D

I will help you if you are interested in starting out with Henna.  I have been doing this for more than 10 years.  It doesn't have to be RED.  If you want to cover grey but not use chemicals that can hurt you.  Let me know.  I have connections and experience.  basically.  I got this one.  in spades.  really really


I have some crazy long hair.  It's pretty.  If you want to experiment with hair.  EVEN if you want short hair that is pretty.  contact me.  I GOT the hair thing folks.  I can get you red/healthy not red and jet black but with good stuff   and points in between.  PPD is bad and can make you really sick.

just say hey and I got ya.  

There is a saying that the uglier you are at getting beautiful the more beautiful you become.




No comments:

Post a Comment