Saturday, January 26, 2013

Some good drugs . . . .

SO the other night my darling husband said something that reminded me of a TV show from my very very early youth ("yute" if I were named Vinny).  And that sparked quite the Netflix frenzy of show after show that I remembered.  Some of them were actually there - some we had to slum and go to YouTube to find.  Regardless,  Roger had never seen, nor even HEARD of any of them.

I was shocked.  But then again this was the early 70's and watching Saturday morning TV was not where HE was spending his time.   And decidedly it was a niche market.   I remembered it fondly.

However, much like Big Mac's,  Shamrock Shakes and Twinkies - I swear something has changed.  The Problem very well may lie somewhere between the screen and the chair,  but change it has.   Watching shows that I have NOT seen in well over 30 years - was bizarre.    If you are anywhere near my age (just this side of dirt! LOL) and had a TV growing up you may remember Sid and Marty Krofft.  You should remember the shows I am referring to.  HR Pufinstuf (right - no drugs at all!) Dr. Shrinker,  Sigmund the SeaMonster, Electra Woman and Dyna Girl, the Bugaloos, and Wonderbug!


These images were what shaped my early years.  The Brother's Krofft overblown sets and fantastical plots made this kid feel that I could imagine and do just about anything.  Which was great . . .  to a degree.  If I had ended up working for Spielberg or as a graphic designer.  I personally ended up in HR.  and not the Pufinstuf kind.  Still - I do believe that my level of fantasy and vivid imagination WAS somewhat shaped by these shows.  Perhaps that is also why I love Musicals so much.  OF COURSE people just burst into song while walking down the street.  why not?  My disbelief was suspended from the start.


Roger was slack jawed watching my beloved shows.  He was adamant that copious and varied pharmaceuticals were involved in their creation.  I could not disagree.

And the acting was  - um how shall I say this delicately? - the acting was horrible.  Really really horrible.  And though it was super fun tripping (tripping right?) down memory lane this stuff was really crazy!  If you have never seen any of these shows or have only seen the later version like the Will Farrell "Land of the Lost" don't bother.   I think it only works if you have a baseline.  Or not.  Go ahead and YouTube or Netflix Sid and Marty and see for yourself.   The brother's have been quoted to say that no drugs were used to create their fantastical plots or sets . . . I am incredulous.  Somebody HAD to have been dropping some sort of something to dream this stuff up.  Just sayin.



Hmmmmm Remember Mayor McCheese . . . .  from McDonalds?  Coincidence?  I think not.  Maybe it's my palate that has changed but a few years back when I could still eat wheat and dairy and wanted to eat at McD's for some dumb reason in the month of March, I had a Shamrock Shake and a Big Mac.  I finished neither.  Something had changed.  If it was me I do understand the adult rather than childhood preferences -  okay but this did not taste like what I fondly remembered  Ditto on the twinkie.  I am a huge nostalgia junkie (duh right?) so this was a blow.

I guess you really can't go home again.  Which is pretty much the plot of every one of these shows.  hmmmmmm.  Coincidence?  I think not...

No comments:

Post a Comment