Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Change isn't good,

BUT it can be great!!!

Today was the day I decided I NEEDED to cook.    Okay if truth be told I actually get giddy about cooking something different, something unexpected.  So after taking the kiddos to school. . .  (AND, yeah it's in two sweeps.  First the older two  - they need to be there by 7.  And then the peanut about 15 minutes later from reentering the house.  Yeah there is a bus - but way overcrowded and yuck !!! Next year it's same timing and that rocks!!!!  Middle school and HS are on an adjoining campus {would that -  in the plural be -  campi? lol  I am the living embodiment of that!!!} !)

So, today.

My "crazy grocery store." opens at 9.    I had a plan of attack.  This is a store that I believe only the bravest of white people face.  This is a store that caters to the Chinese, Hispanic, Indian and Korean market.  But my money is as viable as the next.   Color me shocked at 9:02 am on a Tuesday to be faced with WHITE women asking Evan/Jacob/Trevor to sit in his seat.  huh?  I WAS THE ONLY ONE WHO KNEW HOW GREAT THIS STORE IS DAMN IT!  or rather yeah!  I'm not alone in exploratory eating - bully for you white chick in the "different than you" store!!!

I'm sorry -  but if Walmart or Shoppers or Food Lion OR pick and save or Krogers or Publix or Piggly Wiggly or Wawa or - you name the region and store if it's a chain that caters to MASS markets you will be missing the really really good food.  I only shop at Walmart when I need cheap butter.  or something that's equally AMERICAN.  crackers.  That's Wally territory.  BUT

Produce, meat, live oysters,  kimchi, WEIRD shit I didn't even know I needed but am now addicted to yeah. . .  that's were Global Foods comes in.

Today was $.79 for chicken legs.  HUGE girls really!   I learned today though that when you want meat.  (chicken liver to be specific) arrive a bit later.  Case was wiped clean from yesterday.  Note taken.  Will do better next time.  They were still bleaching the floor at 9.  right.  open.  clean.  THEN the "in the know" shoppers come.  right.  okay then.








We gotta do this again.

AKA

"Cheap cracked coconut chicken legs" 

OMG that was so wrong.  

Just saying dinner tonight f'n rocked it to the freaking astroplane!  

You know when you get the chicken parts that still have -  well, how shall we say - um FEATHERS?  
just pull them the hell out and shut up.  Chickens actually have these things folks.  really?  in the real world they do.  they lay eggs too.  just sayin.  

Now find these things called coconuts.  Okay trust me here.  

get two.  they look like what I'm holding.  If you pay more than 99 cents a piece run.  find another source.  jam something sorta pokey and phallic looking into the three bowling ball holes.  the bigger the better.  :D  you need at least 4 lbs of full chicken legs to make this work if you are feeding more than 2.

Drain the water from each coconut into a vessel.  keep that good stuff!

You are going to need  - all told:

A huge baking pan that either is at least 4 inches tall and has a cover or heavy duty tin foil.

2 coconuts
4lbs of chicken parts - mine were only the cheap leg parts
16oz of mushrooms - more if you like fungi - none if you are not a fan.  I can't eat onions these days so i skip them. sigh.
8oz of baby carrots
8oz of celery chopped into happy little bites
1oz of wizard (kidding)

wash your legs and dry them.  I cut off the crap and fat of each (mostly off the back) and then boiled that fat and crap in a huge vat of salted water for the chickeny goodness that makes for great rice later.  also know as chicken broth.

Heat your oven to 450 and put in some huge sweet potatoes or baking potatoes and just start that crap early folks.  why waste good heat?  Put the coconuts in for about 15 minutes than then ov'glove up and get those bad boys out.  Tomorrow we talk coconut goodness.

put the chicken in the bottom of the roasting pan, veg on top and coconut water in the bottom.  I had about 2 cups from my nuts - personally I left it covered at 450 for an hour.  freaking rocked.  potatoes were amazing.  skin was slightly over done but well - creamy inside.  there will be roasted coconut tomorrow.   

I got 9 legs that didn't fit in my roaster.  I put 3 in my cast iron that the kids ate first. was great.  I made yellow gold potatoes that i just peeled and put into boiling water and then mashed with garlic butter and olive oil.  

All I'm saying is that you gotta eat.  right?  daily.  once or twice.  or so. :D
if you find you go to fast food because it's easy -  I understand.  I still do it for the family because it's fast.  not for myself though.  Chinese and fresh Mex is about as far as I go for the other's making my stuff.  Not a snob just kinda freaky.  I like to know what's in my stuff.  I can't eat so many things most take for granted it doesn't even warrant eating out since I gotta pick off half of what I'm paying for.   

I intend to do more of the unexpected more often.  change.  is good.  really really good.  so is curry. :D



 




No comments:

Post a Comment