Thursday, April 15, 2010

Spicy Peanut Chicken - It's what we had for dinner

Another recipe from the hungry girl!

Spicy Peanut Chicken:
Grocery list: 
3 lbs Chicken thighs - deboned and cut into bit sized pieces 
1 Onion chopped
1 Green Pepper chopped
1 Jalapeno pepper chopped
3 Cloves of garlic chopped
10 oz Mushrooms chopped roughly (I prefer them bigger rather than small pieces)
3 finely chopped carrots
A few brocolli florets (too many changes the taste of everything in my opinion)

Sauce:
1/2 cup peanut butter (which ever you prefer chunky or creamy)
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup brown sugar
dash of crushed red pepper (as much as you like)
2 cups chicken stock
1/4 cup rice wine vinegar

Garish - chopped peanuts and more crushed red pepper

White rice - I'll tell you how I make it.

In a saucepan put the sauce ingredients and bring to a boil.  Let this reduce to a thick syrup.  Taste it - if it is too sweet for you add some water or more stock and let it thicken again.
Then in a wok or heavy bottomed pan brown the chicken and add the veggies reduce the heat and cover but stir so nothing burns.  You want the chicken cooked thoroughly and the veggies fork tender.  Add the sauce over the chicken mix and mix in chopped peanuts.  Serve over rice.  I add more crushed red pepper since I like it spicy!

To make the rice I take a glass (12 oz) and fill it with my rice and put into a saucepan.  I then rinse the rice with cold water - swirling it in the pan - drain the water carefully (not the rice!) and repeat 4 or 5 times til the water is clear when you drain (or close to clear) put the saucepan and drained rice on the stove and heat to high.  Add 2 glasses (the one you used to measure the rice) of water (24 oz of water) heat to boiling.  I stir it once and then cover it and reduce heat as low as it will go.  Cook for 15 minutes WITHOUT PEEKING! Turn off heat and let sit for about 5 minutes.  Enjoy!

I served it with a cheap very cold Pinot Grigio - I'll review that one later on! 

No comments:

Post a Comment