Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Chicken Pot Pie - Dinner for the Big R!

Here we have the purely altruistic dinner since I can't eat it at all but want to!!!

2 lbs frozen chicken breast - Doesn't have to be frozen but mine was
1 bag frozen veggies
2 cans cream of chicken soup
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp salt

Crust recipe
2 cups flour
1 stick of butter cut into tiny pieces
1 Tbs sour cream
1/4 cup ice water
1 egg yolk (save the white)
1/2 tsp salt

Preheat to 375
Cook the breast in a ton of water - and I mean cover the hell out of them and boil away.  Salt if you must but not necessary.  When you know they are done and I mean like almost an hour  - take out the breasts and put them in the freezer in a separate container to cool down - save your water though.  Put your frozen veggies  - I used frozen corn, green beans, wax beans and carrots.  Boil them in the chicken broth water til not frozen.  Strain and mix veggies with soup, salt and garlic powder and your chicken broken up. 

Crust mix flour and butter with a fork or pastry cutter until butter is mixed in - add yolk and sour cream and only enough water to make a tough mix.  It will depend on your climate so not too much water.  Roll half of the dough on parchment paper with flour - put into your pie plate.  Roll the rest on parchment for the top.  Fill your pie plate - on top of crust - with chicken mix - top with crust and cut holes into top crust.  I use a fork or my fingers to seal edges.  I brush with the beaten egg white - gives it a sheen.  This one I cut I <3 U because I do :D Bake for at least 45min.  Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment