Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Cheap Wine Review - Winking Owl Cabernet Sauvignon

Just gonna state up front that this is certainly not going to be a place for snooty wine snobs to chime in.  I am attempting to do something that flies in the face of convention - that you can find a decent wine for under - YES under 15 bucks.  I love wine - which absolutely does not make me an expert - just a lover.  Though really I'd rather be a lover than an expert in a lot of things. 

So that said: we start with the cheapest of the cheap: Winking Owl Cab. $3
Color - Red (obviously) but what kind of red?  It is not a deep dark murky red, more of a cranberry shade
Taste - It is considered semi-dry and I concur.  It's not bitey nor sharp. 
Notes - There are some oak overtones.  I did not taste the vanilla they say it should have but I did sense some of the blackberry.  There are definitely some tannins here but not so drying that it makes you pucker.

Overall - it's okay.  For $3 you really can't brag about it, but it's drinkable and is actually better a little colder.  The 55 degree to 60 range is great.  This one doesn't really breathe all that much but a little air time is preferable to none.

No comments:

Post a Comment