Monday, April 26, 2010

Food and Sex

Okay - before you go all 9 1/2 weeks on me - just stop.  I am reading Born Round by Frank Bruni.  Wow.  And I thought I was neurotic!  Okay.  I am.  But, seriously having someone as esteemed as he (is, was?)  in the position of NY Times food editor spill his guts to someone like me (no position no esteem) even if in just book form is a cold wet squirrel in the face!  And very very welcome.  Yes he is gay - oh so very very gay.  And honestly - in the context of this book and his life perfectly in place.  The very second I learned he had bulimia I was thinking "oh he is gay" and then I thought "what a stereotype" and well, sho nuff  - he is.  Slam dunk on this one.

What is it about sex and food that are so inexplicably linked?   I, as someone who survived a sexual abuse - (like what is NOT surviving an abuse - suicide?) messed up as I am and yet going through my life like I do struggle almost everyday with some kind of food related issue.  "I can't eat that it's . . . . "  Okay to my defense a lot is true due to being Gluten Intolerant AND Lactose Intolerant.  SO really I can't eat a lot of food.  BUT still every damn day is a struggle with loving who I am apart from weight and appearance.  But to my credit - I did not read this book to get insider dieting secrets.  Thankfully I am so far beyond that it's yesterday's review - but it still leaves me wondering if it's back to the garden.  I mean THE GARDEN.  The first sin was doubting God and then eating.  And it really hasn't changed in the 6000 years since then.  Doubting God and then eating or doing something outside of what HE has said is coolio for you or me to do.

Frank Bruni's Grandma said - "born round - you don't die square" - I don't usually doubt the old folks - but I'd rather pick "born sinful, you can die perfected!"  I pick perfected every day of the week - it's what picks my head up off of the asphalt when I fall.  and fall, and fall - and fall.and fall and fall   AND fall.  Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment