Friday, December 7, 2012

MP3 killed the Video Star...

okay. damn.  I'm really going to date stamp myself here. .  but,  I was ACTUALLY there when Video (aka the Buggles) Soooooo presumptuously announced that the Radio Star had been  - quote *killed* unquote.

I really did believe it to be so - even without a body.  That was - of course until MTV stopped playing music and then suddenly it was all "realworld and cribs and well, cribs . . . and well . . um . .. . . " really that's all I got cuz I stopped watching 20 years ago.  Puck was cool for like - 3 seconds and then I thought - "this is stupid."

Radio is more alive than ever.  yet so so so different than the rammed down your throat programming of my youth.  But frankly everything about music is different and I don't know if it's super better or worse for musicians.  I know a lot of people in music and it seems apropos to quote the old again "the times they are a changing!"

I remember a conversation my T and I had Many Many moons ago as itunes was beginning to surface (yes I am that old.) About how buying individual songs was going to kill the artist as the ALBUM creator and that musicians were going to just do the one-off songs and that the album - CD even- was going to die since people were going to pick and choose the songs THEY liked instead of the whole album as envisioned by the artist.  You could skip the song you didn't like but you had to own it  - as it was in the past.  Now you can buy 4 songs and be done.

Personally?  okay.  I'm not a musician.  I don't even play one on tv.  I can sing when pressed to.  and when alone in the car - really really loud.  But I'm the "buy what I like and skip what I don't girl." UNLESS I LOVE THE ARTIST TO DEATH.  then the album just comes to me full force.  via itunes.  I don't buy cd's ever.  anymore.  it's all digital.  all the devil's music of the AIR - lol!   (little family humor)  It used to bother me but I've become a complete music whore.  I hear a song I like - song is on the radio - shazam  (a song listening app for the iphone that hears and tells you who it is) - I know who it is - tap to buy instantly!  UGH - it's horrible in it's awesomeness!

No more holding the tape deck up to the radio after listening ALL DAMN DAY only to have to pee and hear your song come on and have to run to catch it mid stream (so to speak - lol)

Music has been said to be from the devil since Lucifer was (allegedly) the Angel in charge of music.  It would make a lot of sense given what music can do to people.  I know personally music is a part of my everyday if not MOST of my day.  I am always listening to something - happily handpicked by me in a style I'm wanting for the day.  I would say I watch music videos for maybe an hour while running on the treadmill - 3 hours per week - bounced between VH1 jumpstart and Palladia videos.  Radio?  quite literally 70 hours a week.  I'm always listening to music.  I am right now.  Calvin Harris radio and that will be a future post.  The DJ as artist.  But - I'm done here tonight.

If you have a comment I'd love to hear it.  I'm t minus 2 weeks til unemployed but looking to write.  breathe. clean. run. craft. create.  and if it makes some coin.  bonus!  Peace.


No comments:

Post a Comment