Sunday, January 29, 2012

Epic and I mean EPIC fail. SWEET!

I hate failure.  I am a person who has spent her entire life trying desperately to be not only perfect but in-f'n- falable.  Beyond perfect - some superhuman know every random fact anyone should ever need to know at a moments notice (a human google if you will) and do it in such a humble matter of fact sort of way that of course - why wouldn't I just know that to help you out . . .  ugh.  It's been a long long 42 years trying to be perfect.  Perfectly thin.  Perfectly behaved.  practically perfect in every way.  Bite me Mary.  I'm so tired of it.  I'm not saying I'm not going to still strive to do a good job.  I try not to make mistakes.  I HATE making mistakes.  But dear Lord Jesus.  I do.  Yes.  I'm Katie and I mess up.  More often than I will admit, if you must know.  But I have learned a little secret that I will gladly share.  Most of my worst/best f'ups have been learning experiences. 

Cutting my finger = learning how to wield a very sharp knife and not Not NOT cut myself.  check.

Whipping egg whites into oblivion - not getting stiff - um DUH - plastic bowl.  must be glass or metal. check

Keep it coming - I've messed up pretty much every dish I've ever made.  The first time.  And then maybe the 25th time because I got cocky and added something weird.  And it really didn't work.  BUT the 27th time I got it to work and be even better than the 24th time.   Food and failure doesn't bother me much.  Maybe it's the wine :D or it's that cooking is already so very experimental.  It's chemistry if you will.  Especially baking.  They say that you can't mess with baking that you have to be so precise and perfect or it won't turn out - blah blah blah.  That is total and complete



truth.  Yes - it is.  I know that because I am a great baker.  Instinctual.  But I mess up a lot.  And again.  I don't care.  I hate wasting food - don't get me wrong.  I don't make crap on purpose.  But I also don't kill myself for a screw up.  Yes if I burn a $20 roast I will be upset.  But a few eggs some milk and sugar? Nope.  This isn't the depression and my kids won't starve.   Thank you.  I appreciate the money that went into making it but if I'm gonna mess something up - that's fine.  next batch I promise will rock.  until I get cocky again.

No comments:

Post a Comment