Saturday, September 25, 2010

Some like it HOT!!!

Okay I am a girl at times (other times I am a WOOO - man!) AND WHEN a girl -  I tease.  Calamari and shrimp are for another day and another budget.  I promise :D  TO-day and today's dollars are on chicken.

Can I just jump in here and say my freakin fingers are burning?  Yes - actually burning.  Because I am a dumb ass.  I know all the rules I know how to handle hot peppers - but do I listen?  Apparently not.  OMG my hands are on fire.  There's a reason capsasian is a controlled substance.  It will hurt you.  I am glad I'm not a guy and have to touch parts to pee.  It wouldn't be pretty.

OKAY now.  So tonight we are having "Chicken with 40 garlic cloves shoved up it's private parts" - yeah I cleaned it up for the internet.  And pineapple salsa that will "burn your freakin hands off if you are dumb!" 

So the drill is to find a decent chicken.  This really requires a good free range or good quality chicken in the 4 - 6 lb range.  I'm not usually a chicken prude but when you are doing something that highlights the chicken more than the ingredients you need something that lived a fairly clean life.  Preheat the oven to 400.  Take said carcass and wash it - okay DUH should be understood but please.  WAAAAASSSHH the heck out of it.  and then do as follows.  IF you have a beer can chicken cooker get it out.  IF not.  Get out the center of your angel food cake pan or springform pan or if none of them are in your house get a can - soda, beer, SOUP CAN - WHATEVER and empty it.  I put my chicken on a spring form cake pan center.  IN a roaster.  I put a soup can up the center.  I really hope I'm not confusing the hell out of you - if so ping me and I'll fix it in person.  But in the soup can I put 2 cups of white wine and 20 cloves of garlic (okay so 2 cups of wine don"t actually fit but the rest just became sauce.  In the roaster around the chicken that is standing on it's butt upright - looking all - "hey, I'm tough" I added mushrooms, more garlic (like 2 full bulbs - about 20 cloves), chopped celery, onions, zucchini,  carrots, and some water.  I salted and olive oiled the standing bird a bit and then stuck it in the oven.  Peek occasionally but 1 and a half hours were enough for this bad bird. 

for the pineapple salsa - I served this with rice and torilla chips
1/2 onion
1/2 can chopped pineapple - chopped finer
1 bunch cilantro finely chopped
2 jalapeno peppers chopped fine (gloves are amazing for the intelligent cook)
1 chopped tomato
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1 t salt
let this brew sit a bit and then enjoy.

when the chicken is done take it from it's perch and rest a bit.  Don't ever cut into hot meat right away.  Resting will ensure good flavor and juiciness.  But what's happy in the roaster can be turned into gravy.  Get the veg out carefully and then set the roaster on the stove and just put a tad of corn starch into it and wisk and then add some water - more than you think - still wisking away.  it WILL thicken.  after about 3 minutes it should be lovely thick brown and yummy.  turn off the heat and have some dinner.  I made instant mashed potatoes and fresh snapped green beans to augment the chicken.  Enjoy.  The salsa was hot.  is hot.  my hands are hot.  hmmmm.  Roger . . . .  . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment