Friday, September 17, 2010

Dessert - kicken it old school

Now I'm a simple girl - okay that's crap - I'm screwy as hell, but dessert has always perplexed me a bit.  I either completely overdo it and make something that could give all of Texas diabetes, or it's boring,  staid and frankly a bit plain.   So in the next few weeks I vow both to myself and others to find something that can excite the senses or just reawaken those we haven't paid much heed to lately.  But that's not what I'm doing today so there . .   

Nope today is my MIL Mary's "coffee cake"  This a vintage recipe filled with fat, fat -  oh and fat, but probably pretty tasty if I could try it.  I like the addition of cinnamon to the basic recipe.  I did not do the nuts because - well, I don't have any and my kids are not wild about them.

Oven to 350.

1 white cake mix
1 box vanilla pudding
4 eggs
1/2 cup oil
1 cup sour cream

mix this like mad and pour HALF of the batter into a greased pan - personally I used a bundt pan.  Top this half with 1/4 sugar and 1 t cinnamon.  Spread this around a bit.  Pour the other half on top and add another 1/4 sugar and 1 t cinnamon.  bake until a cake tester (aka wooden skewer) comes clean - about 40 minutes.  Cool and either flip onto a nice cake plate or just grab a spoon and tuck in!!! 

Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment