Sunday, September 26, 2010

Epic Fail? or not.

For me, cooking is more than just a full belly.  More than just happy faces on the family and friends.  And food is also a HUGE can of worms and they may or may not taste good.  I love to cook for people - any people who will indulge my experiments.  My ex was not so big on those experiements.  Today, I'm a different girlie and a very very different chef.  I actually know a thing or two after all my trial and errors - and just learning to trust my gut was the biggest!  But honestly tell me how many times it took to make the light bulb?  It's in the 1000's that dear Edison experimented!  For me it's not the light bulb - it's FRIED CHICKEN

Okay so I'm in the South.  The Northern South but it's still THE South.  I Live here.  They have accents and all.  It's the south!!!  I'm in heaven.  Cheap chicken to experiment with.  One batch was soaked in buttermilk ALL DAMN NIGHT and another batch in pineapple, cilantro & coconut milk.  Okay so I won't share nasty details of the not pretty pot + oil okay a lot of oil + heat thing (let alone the grease smell that I swear won't ever come out of my HAIR) ..  Let's just say I need a better ventilation system and cast iron.  That's all there is.  End of story - Sadly I have no recipe to share but no one died of salmonella poisoning either.  I am nothing if not responsible.  Undercooked chicken is not cool!  No one ate bad chicken but I'm not satisfied enough with the recipe to share AGAIN.

It did end up working okay, but not to my liking.  It wasn't "hmmmm, I'd totally do this again," but more like -  "Dear LORD in Heaven this sucked and I wouldn't do this again if a Popeye's was in driving range."  BUT my dear Hubby assures me it was good fried chicken. Again the getting laid bias - but well I actually tried it (minus the skin) and it was actually pretty good.  So I can make grits and fried chicken.  Holy hell - I'm almost Southern!!!!  Um well, I think we actually always knew I was a closet case.  Just never knew which closet.  Now we know.

I will actually share a recipe when I know it's easy.  And I can explain it.  In English.  Though my Spanish is getting better. Como no?

No comments:

Post a Comment