Monday, September 20, 2010

Almond eyes

What can I say about the almond that has not already been WIKI'd to death .  . .  All I know is there is a smell that puts me over the edge and almond is that smell.  When I had a hunch that Roger was going to ask me to marry him in Vegas on May 2, 2008 I knew that I needed a special dress that only I could sew and a scent that only Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab from California could produce.  It was called Eden and smelled of almond and vanilla and was heavenly and intoxicating.  Sugar and spice - okay you get it.  so almond is the thing to catch the conscience . . . well, king or not it's a great smell and taste.  Almonds are really diverse in recipes as far as they can be additives or the full on deal.  Roast them whole (cheaply) then dip in dark chocolate and they rock (um hello Kisses with almonds!) or put them in the classic green bean almondine they are so clique it hurts me.  But since my former sister in law was once all about the Amaretto (cheap crap not even DiSarrono) apparently it's a popular flavor. 

Tonight I made a smattering of dishes to please my 93 yr old Mother in Law.  She finally got that I was fixing several things at once because I could heat one oven and make 3 nights worth of dinners with the same chicken.  Don't know if garnered any respect but really I am not trying to earn respect from her since I don't deserve it from her.  She and I have not had the day to day for the number of years for me to get that and frankly I don't know if I even want that.  My former MIL is an incredible woman and I love her forever and always will.  When I die and/or Jesus blasts the earth with HIS awesomeness  I will get to sit in the courtyard and chit chat she will be one of the first folks I look up.  BUT my current MIL is someone on my prayer list since she and Jesus are not so tight.  I gave her a Bible and she pretty much chucked it back at me.  So anyone who reads this and likes to pray - add Mary Pabst.  She's not going to heaven as I and my Bible see it.  I'm glad I'm not the reader of hearts but Jesus is not her Savior nor Lord so you do the math. 

BUT that said - she's in my house for today and I'm praying for her old soul.  and other 40 yr old souls that fathered children I might know.  and other's named shall we say Rick who's with a lady named Sherri . . . oh Lord I pray for a lot of people :D

Chicken Casserole that's been changed since this recipe is from the freakin 40's
3c cooked chopped chicken breast
2 c thinly sliced celery (super thin - aka oblivion chop)
1/2 cup chopped toasted almonds.  Toast them yourself when you preheat the oven - thank me for the smell later!)
2 T grated Onions
1 c mayo NOT MIRACLE WHIP trust me later
touch of lemon juice
1 chopped can of water chestnuts

mix this mess into a casserole
add into the top before adding to a 450 oven
1 cup cheddar cheese and 1 cup smooshed potato chips
have fun cuz it rocks
so bad for you but as a dinner it could be worse...  enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment