Saturday, August 3, 2013

off off off with yer head - dance dance dance til yer dead . . .

this is a story about a runner.

how she started and where she is now.

and okay yeah, that she.   is me.

I was a runner in high school.   more to the point.  I was a horrible hurdler.  I hit them.  all the time and every time.  I doubted my timing and sucked - bad.  then I got sick.  not just sick, but  Strep. Mono. a sinus infection,  tonsillitis and a double ear infection.  I was a freaking train wreck.  and SUDDENLY then for some feverish deluded reason - I decided I wanted to start really running.  I was off of school for two weeks.  I began running a bit at a time  - had to cuz  I woke up in a ditch after a few miles.  I never said I wasn't stupid - I'd just made up my mind.  I wanted to run.

Then I started college.  Ran a bit here and there but not seriously.

Then I got married and got a job and then a different job.  I was -  at that point about 26.  I was a help desk/software admin for a really mental software company in Brookfield WI and folks there actually drank on the job.  really really.  I started running on my lunch hour just to get out of Dodge.  I started a mile at a time.  and after a year and many bloody toes - I found that a mile had turned into 6.  I could run - 6 miles in an hour.  That seemed to me pretty great and my runs were actually pretty great since I lived in Waukesha.

It was 6 miles around my country block and that took my sweaty ass passed some pretty amazing scenes.  I actually tried to outrun a thunderstorm once and almost made it.  sorta.

Then I got pregnant.  times 3.

Not triplets thank GOD but 3 kids in 6 years.  "Running" only meant to the bathroom or out for diapers.  But I found I could jump rope in my living room for an hour and still stay fit.  and be home.

Then I remarried.

I discovered that Illinois hated me.  I fell.  a lot.  Maybe it's just their sidewalks are shit - I don't know - but I kept falling.  like almost needing stitches falling.  I fell about 6 times.  I hated running there.  I stopped and stuck to jump rope in the driveway.  Even in December.  it was a better idea.

Then we moved to VA.

I started running.  a lot.  I never fell.  Not once.

Then. one day.

I decided to do a marathon.  I just kinda announced it and it even came out as a bit of a surprise for me.

I trained hard and heavy and worked up to doing 15 miles a day.  7 days a week.  for 5 months.  I lost 20 lbs.  I  - at 5'8" weighed 120 lbs -  less if I did 20 miles.  I felt like I could do anything - be anything - and was killing my kidneys.  I didn't realize that running that much and not drinking more than water was a bad thing.  I was peeing blood everyday!  Genius!  right - I know.  Electrolytes people.  your friends.

I was set on this marathon.  It was all I cared about - and honestly at the end of the day it was the hardest thing I physically ever did.  At mile 21 I wanted to stop and sit down.  But the drill sergeant in my brain only let me walk through the water stop.  I finished in 3:43.   I know I could have done faster if I hadn't walked but I was so happy to have finished.  

After we got out of the crowd I wanted to get a tattoo.  Nobody wanted to do it for me since they thought I'd been through so much.  The tattoo of XXVI.ii  on my ankle took less than 5 minutes.  really?

Today I struggle.  I pick music for my IPOD that moves me - and yet I stay on the treadmill.  I'm afraid of training again.  I am afraid of diarrhea - yeah training in the heat of a VA summer - I need a bathroom after mile 12!  Nobody tells you about THAT  happy shit (literally)  If I'm at home I can get off and use my own bathroom - in the wild I am at the mercy of the McDonald's or Taco Bell or 7-11.  The evil looks I imagine.  This intel isn't to discourage you but nobody really tells you when you start all of the happy things that await the novice runner who just wants to "do" a marathon.  My sister and her hubby did one and for my poor sister it didn't end nicely.  She hurt her knee and it was a slow sad end.  I was alone and I know Roger will never run with me.  So anything I run is alone.

And then as the runner ages we experience all of the fun "getting OLDER" events.  I hurt my achilles a while back because I found that running on an incline is DUMB.  yeah.

Oh and at home I am barefoot 99% of the time and so I am inclined to KICK THINGS that are hard and stationary.

  I broke my toe AGAIN!! and had to take 5 days off. I hate being injured but being so - makes me breathe.  I like that.  I stop for a second and focus.  Once it stopped being the purple angry toe of death, .   I did 8 miles then 9 miles and today over 10.  Yet - training for another marathon scares me because I know how selfish it makes me.  It makes me focus on my needs and my goals and I have a tween and teens.  Until they are not my priority - they have to be my focus.  I'm the only one who cares about what happens to them on a daily basis.  I need to figure out how to make my goals and theirs meet.  Aislinn is set on track for her sport this year.  I am going to try to volunteer for her team.  I know if my parents had spent time with me in school I would have done better.  Not a dig but a truth.  I know I was a hard kid to raise.  Still am :D  But being there seems to be 9/10 of the battle.

I'm ready for a half marathon.  Not a full  - because I don't want it to be about me for another 6 months.  I love being a runner.  It's fun and sticky and sweaty!!!  and it's a part of my DNA.  But my DNA has more parts than just Katie.

If you don't run - I'm not saying you are less than anything - but running is kinda my thing.- whatever your thing is - that's great.  I'm trying to see if I can get Roger into tennis with me.  I'm horrible at it but passionate.

I guess it comes down to what makes us tick.  I am full of quirks.  Passionate or weird.  Places I avoid - things I do - foods I eat or don't.  Music that moves me.  I know I dissed Glee.  I do like it.  In a love/hate sorta way.  It's hard for me.

I am picking my drumbeat - my cadence.  I hope it works.

My prayer for you is that you have yours and it moves you.

No comments:

Post a Comment