Friday, June 11, 2010

Purple haze

I will apologize from the get go here if I am vagueposting because there are a lot of thoughts feelings and emotions dipping me in some kind of blue funk but soldier on I will and try to share some of this purple haze.   It really can be boiled down to selfishness.  I want what I want when I want it and I want it NOW!  Veruca Salt wanted it then and honestly it didn't end well - I get that same garbage shoot-looming-ahead-feeling.  In the next week, I will be introducing my 93 year old Mother in Law into our home.  The home she helped make possible for us.  This is the blended home of my new husband, my 3 kids 11,10 and 8 and briefly during the summer his son 11.  And our 3 dogs and 3 lizards.  Oh and I start a new job next week.  I have kid care and grandma care and a new job. And in all of that, the petulant child in me is whining kicking and screaming like someone just took her ice cream!  But this is not about me.  Well, okay this blog is (duh!)  But I know things could be so so much worse - I personally know people doing way more with way less and not bitching one bit.  And I need to be grateful.  I really am in so many respects.  But sadly in so many others I'm still that bitchy little whiner kicking at my chair - holding my breath until I turn purple.

Purple Potato Salad
2lbs purple potatoes the smaller the better for faster cooking - they are out there.  Any grocery store worth your time should have them
1 fist size onion finely chopped
1 dill pickle chopped
4 hard boiled eggs chop up three but slice the 4th one pretty like :D
1 stalk of celery chopped (my mom would gag if she knew about the celery you can leave it out if you hate it)
3/4 cup mayo
1/4 cup ranch dressing
couple of shakes of salt
paprika
 
Boil the heck out of the potatoes - basically stick a fork in - if it slides with no resistance they are done.  Carefully dump the hot water and run cold over them.  When cold enough to handle peel off their skin and slice into cubes or chucks - whatever makes you smile.  SEPARATELY mix the rest of the ingredients together (EXCEPT for the 4th sliced egg and the paprika!)  Then dump your mayo/ranch mix into the potatoes.  If it looks wet enough to your liking (Personally I don't like dry potato salad but not swimming either) put the egg slices on top and sprinkle paprika over the whole lot.  This does get better with chill time so if you are taking it out to a party make it a few hours ahead.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment