Saturday, June 19, 2010

Caramel Apple Salad and Project Grandma day 3

Okay so as I have stated Roger's mom is living with us now and honestly - though it was trying in thought and we've only had 3 days of it - she really is delightful.  She is sassy and though deaf as a post is funny as heck and really sweet in a "I know and have seen more than you will in your lifetime!" sort of way.  I really just want to make her happy and adjusted here in a new place with the son she hasn't lived with since he was 20.  (hint - he's 50!) I have great kids who can appreciate someone who is older and slower than they are and jump right in to help. Okay I take ZERO credit for that since it was my beloved-ex who's mom (love her forever!) is slowing down and they have spent some time with her.  But I want her well fed and happy and adjusted.  Call it a pay it forward sort of thing.  I really don't want to live to 93.  I don't.  I probably won't.  No honestly.  I won't and don't want to unless I get to be Sarah.  I want to be hot at 93 - so HOT that a KING wants me and my husband (okay that would make him 103) is so scared he says I'm his sister!  I probably won't be though so when things shut down - I hope I get to go out gracefully.  But until then - I want her life to be a sweet sweet carnival.  So bring on the caramel apples!!!!!!!!!!

3/4 cup dark brown sugar.  Light is for the weak willed. just do the right thing.
2T apple cider vinegar
4 finely chopped granny smiths (the bigger the better - here size DOES matter)Leave the skin just discard innards
1 beaten egg white - okay here you use your best discretion - I've done this for years without ill effect but your mileage may vary so use pasturized eggs if it gives you the creeps.  I personally have an apparent deathwish so I don't care :D
1 small container of THAWED coolwhip Or whatever store brand you choose.  It doesn't matter one whit so cheap is FINE by me. It's not booze so bring it.
1 8oz can of pineapple crushed or one real deal full on pineapple you have hacked into tiny pieces (and then you only need half.  Enjoy the other half in one of my chicken recipes.
Juice from the pineapple you've killed or from the can.
1/2 cup chopped dry roasted and salted peanuts.

Mix liquids together ( that includes coolwhip) and beat like hell.  Fold in apples and pineapple mix this happy mess up and then sprinkle peanuts on top.  This is one of those salads you need to serve asap cuz it separates like a hollywood marriage - nasty and fast!

If you are taking it to a party you can keep each element separate and cold and then mix on site.  I've done it and it works BEAUTIfully! 

Roger's mom was wary - okay so it's not on the Pretty Pretty Salad list - but we made her try it.  3 helpings later it was given the mom sign of approval.  Just try to pry it out of the hands of those willing to try it.  You will be asked to repeat it at the next party. 

Hint - small chunks are a good thing so this is one where a good knife and patience is rewarded.  enjoy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment