Monday, June 21, 2010

Project Grandma day 5 or Let's go Banana(s) Bread

So here we go on a new week. Kids are off of school, it's hot, I'm working weird hours and somewhere in there we need to go to WI!  Roger's mom seems to be adjusting as well as expected at 93 in a new house with dogs and kids and craziness.  She's got the martyr thing going on - only ate a little of something she could find because she didn't know where (something) was - couldn't figure out how to use the stove (GOOD!) and the microwave is too high up for her.  If she would have looked at the plate we left in the fridge she could have had a sandwich of the turkey we left for her.  OH WELL, it's kind of funny and interesting to see the games being played out.  I think I am glad I made such a big deal about her living with us - I got my knickers so completely into a twist that now the reality is no where near as awful as my imagination.  (oh yeah I know shocking that I blew things out of proportion!)

Well, it's fine that I am a little nuts I guess!  Really, this particular slice of my life is so insanity inducing that I'd hate to go to all of the trouble of starting out sane and ending here!  We're already HERE!  So with that - I'd say let's go Bananas!

I made this for Roger's mom when she first arrived because I had 2 big bunches of ripe (okay rotting) bananas.

Preheat oven to 350 - line a bread pan with foil and spray.  Yeah I know aluminum foil will kill us all - but so will the sun, the water, DDT, and microwave popcorn.  So just go with it.

2cups Flour
1t Baking Soda
Dash of salt
1 cup Brown Sugar (NOT PACKED - just scooped - I know that's wrong but tough it's what I did)

Mix these together.
In a separate bowl mix 3 beaten eggs, 2 1/2 cups mashed SUPER RIPE bananas,  a dash of vanilla.
Mix that up so there are not a lot of chucks of Banana unless that's how you roll.
Mix in the dry ingredients only so that they are incorporated (no flour pockets)
Pour it all into the prepped pan and bake for about an hour.  I say about - you'll have to check it with a cake tester - aka toothpick - if it comes out clean - it's done.
Let it sit for a bit then have at it!

Life is a bit like bananas - if you just sit around and do nothing - you WILL rot.  But then that's where the best flavor comes in so you make up your own ending I guess!

No comments:

Post a Comment