Saturday, November 19, 2011

Oxtails and Artichokes


SO if you are reading this - you are either 1) me or 2) not me but someone who knows me.  Therefore you get that I am a weird foodie chick with both a gung ho spirit and food allergies.  I can WANT to eat a lot of crazy shit but can't eat a lot of crazy shit because I can't eat wheat or oats and need lactaid to eat dairy.  BUT really I'm mad fun on the dance floor. 

So this blog is brought to you by the the letter Q and the number 13.  Soundtrack - Queens of the Stone Age - Album rated R.

I am so into old school food with a twist it's not funny.  I love foie gras with a stupid passion and I don't care how many fowl needed to die a fat and happy death to make my pleasure happen.  They are animals.  Yum.

I miss venison and wish I could find me a hunter here in the great state of VA that could knock a few over for me.  Have a boy in mind to ask (hey Zac!)

I love venison - oxtails - artichokes (yeah title and all).  Turnips, carrots, potatoes, sweet and not, parsnips, beets - celeriac - garlic - gotta love the old school  root veg and such (yeah I know garlic - not a root et al ). But it's what you do with it all that speaks to me.  I'd rather die than eat jello,  so very freaking leisure suit Larry, but not everything vintage is bad.  There are some things that just should be classic.  Audrey.  Black tight pants black tight sweater.  Hair pulled back.  classic. yup.

There are just some things that should die a death with rocks piled on top never to come back.  Parachute pants for one.  Neru jackets 2, Hammer pants UGH! 3!!!!!, okay so sue me I'm a child of the 80's.  Bell bottoms are hard but I can do flares so there's hope for me.  (after thought - think Dallas - HUGE hair and shoulder pads - really?  I need to look BIGGER?)

But with food it's different.  I will never make nor eat an aspic.  NOPE.  rather die.  to jello like.  (have we established I hate jello unless there's vodka in it?)

So really - it's hard core with me - either it's basic mac and cheese (no not the box) or grilled cheese with tomato soup or breakfast for dinner or something you would all recognize - spaghetti and such or meat loaf, or it's really something nobody but me really would touch.  Yeah I made Roger eat tongue and he liked it and didn't know it.  BUT besides that.  I'll eat anything if someone has made it and loves it.  I'm the bizarre food girl.  Hell yeah.  If you love and make and EAT it y'own'self - I WILL EAT IT.  Unless there's wheat or dairy in it and I don't have lactaid. Though I have been known to just say f' it and do it anyway.  I won't die - just wish I did.

Dinner tonight is classic root veg, red wine reduction, seared animal (beef) flesh YES - beef burgundy.   AND HELL yeah - cheap ass burgundy!!!  it's reduced so you gotta love the cheap wine.   The kicker is NOT using olive oil but either duck fat or bacon grease.   :D  you will thank me later.  Bacon grease is close to God.  and yes I know it's pig which I don't personally eat but as a gentile I CAN.  You can tell Jesus on me later.  I'm sure he cooks with it too.   Not certain but IMHO HE does.

So at the end of the day.  Jello sucks unless there's vodka.  and vintage is cool if -  well - you think it so.  Unless it's a "members only" jacket and then you are just lame.  Way to go uncle rico!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment