Monday, January 10, 2011

Winner winner Chicken Dinner!

I am a carnivore.  No apologies no excuses - God made animals and they are yummy.  I do draw the line at pets unless you have a pet cow or chicken and then all bets are off.  I spent a few stupid years not eating animals and it didn't work well for me so now that I can't eat wheat or milk I happily am the hunter gatherer girl!  Bring on the seared animal flesh (or unseared in the case of sushi!) BUT I'm not stupid.  (dumb maybe on random too much Cab Weekends) but not so much the stupid.  I cook my chicken to a nice well done thank you stage.  So on a trip to the store there was a happy looking "on sale" GIANT bird - had to have it.  I love chicken and am always looking for different things to do with it since not only do you have a great meal - you have a carcass for soup, stock etc. . . .

SO I waited because we had so much food but tonight I decided to stuff this 6.5 lb bird with tangerines and red onions and then pour a Dundee Pale Ale (think Sprecher Amber! I do so miss WI beer) and roast for about 2.5-3 hours at 375.  Think about 18 min. a lb or so - your mileage may vary.  I always do at least a few sweet potatoes and beets and regular potatoes while I'm roasting things.  It really rocked.  I did no extra fat aka no butter or oil but the beer really did it's job!  It was amazing. 

I have to say - I'd do this again.   Twice cuz I liked it :D!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment