Thursday, April 11, 2013

this could get me fired - or not.

oh wait.  I think I'm going to work for a bitch anyway what does that matter?

So I had a dream last night that I was sewing - yeah right I know ME sewing . . . who would have thought?  It was red Sunbrella fabric with big green palm fronds that I have worked with more than I would care to share. 

Oh yeah,  those just tuning in . . . I sewed custom cushions for most of my adult life.  and it was really amazing stuff.  Yeah that was ME re-doing million dollar mansions on the Lake Geneva shorelines.  And gated communities.  And Chicago uppity ups with their 50,000 dollar nursery, who thankfully spent a hair of that on my personal sewing labor.  It was actually pretty cool.  I under charged to guarantee that I got in.  My Decorators told me I under charged but that was the Lutheran in me not wanting to be proud.  Catholics and Lutherans  if they are in the trades . . . . seek them out. 

Anywho . . . .  Dream.       Today Roger comes home and asks me what I would charge for sewing. . . . . My brain goes numb.  He actually pulls out the word SUNBRELLA.  I'm stunned.  His boss who lives.  okay when I say the city it won't mean dick to you if you don't live here but  . . . dude lives in sorta Beverly Hills. . . wants me to do his sunroom furniture.   Can't find someone to do it.  Oh and another coworker has a grill cover . . . 

I'm a bit in shock.  I am currently on garage watch.  Making sure the tyvek goes on all four sides and I guess I've failed since the tan garage does not currently meet the GREY house.  I have not yet been fired since I did not actually sign for said TAN siding but there may be a flogging and I hope it's not me. 

But as the home wife watching progress and trying very hard to not kill the dogs who moment by moment NEED me to KNOW that in fact there are actually STRANGERS IN OUR YARD.. . .and actually more to the point BLACK men in our yard . . which I try to explain to TWO of the three that they in fact are black . . it seems to fall on deaf ears and they are just concerned that I am not MORE concerned.  It's really kind of tiring.  And if I were not already running on the treadmill I would want to run far far away.

And more to the point I DO know what Tyvek is   And I can wield a drill.  don't piss me off.  I'll screw with you.

I am so happy to think I get to work again for me but I'm also scared.  I'm harder on me than anyone could be.  I want my shit perfect.  and last time I checked my water walking skills involved a boat and a boom.  I try though.  Nothing I did in my past sewing life - OKAY save ONE job was ever sent back and that was clearly a smoking crack moment.  Not sure.  I fixed it -  moved on,.  Still remember it though.

But to think.  I could get to sew again.  for fun and profit.  in Ashburn VA (check out most wealthy area in the US - aka beats 90210 by an f' ton!)  Yes that's where I may have an in.  with chatty folks who chat up neighbors.  and yes I do curtains too.  and couches.

The hard part for me is dealing with decorators.  I had two of the best - most amazing women to work with in Oconomowoc (and I dare you to say that if you are not from Wisconsin)  And a sister team in Elkhorn that were amazing as well.  And I had the worst.  A diva from Brookfield that made me hate the business and shorted me.  I made a voodoo doll in her image.  or just wish I had.  MaryAnn.

It really does excite and scare me to my core.  I really am good.  at this.  Of this I am certain. 

the rest is just thread.

No comments:

Post a Comment