Friday, December 17, 2010

When life gives you beer . . .

make a beef roast.  Okay so "life" per say did not technically GIVE me beer - I purchased it.  But Roger wanted to have some friends over (okay so Roger did not technically WANT friends over - I hounded him like a whore from hell until he relented to have a party.)  AND from said party we not only had some gorgeous valances that yours truly sewed  (:D)  but some kick ass Sam Addams Winter Lager just freakin sitting on my kitchen floor (in a bottle in a box - not actually ON the floor - cuz well that would be gross right?) So in a fit of "I need to use this beer" moment I made probably the best beef roast on the planet that has been served in my house.  Yeah there's a qualifier for you!!!!!!!

So when life or a party gives you beer - make this. 

3+ lbs bottom round (don't we just like our bottoms round :D)  I know I do - love you Roger!!!  :D
Okay so if you got a bigger roast you may want a bigger quantity of beer.  up to you so go with me here we have fluid cooking action - no real rules in my kitchen except I am PRINCESS (THE mom is the Queen mother AND that's another post ALL the hell together!)

2 bottles (yeah 12 oz each) a lager - dark - Guinness is fine (yeah it is fine! brilliant even!) I had Sam Addams Winter Lager and it was yummy good.

16 oz chopped mushrooms
1 green zucchini smallish
1 package of baby carrots
1 head of garlic
1 bunch of green onions or 1 med onion
 half a stalk of celery (or as much as you want to put into something)
water

here's what I did.

Take a good roasting pan and turn it up high and put a small amount of olive oil in the bottom and get yer meat ready (I love saying that) brown it on one side and for goodness sakes don't poke it - just brown it.  both sides really good.  we are looking for the maillard effect  - probably spelled wrong - like I care? - it works.  PUT browned meat into a 350 oven COVERED all ALONE for 30 minutes (or more whatever here - I was putting henna on my hair - much more important :D) so from here we want to deglaze the pan that the meat is currently in - MOVE THE MEAT (again fun to say) to another resting pan BUT DO NOT STAB YOUR MEAT :D - tongs are much nicer -  we don't want to have yummy goodness spilling onto the world and not where were we ultimately want it!

SO put the beer into the roasting pan and stir like hell - add at least 16 oz or more of water to help and get all of that stuck goodness off the bottom - add part of the other stuff and then the meat and then the rest of the veg and then put the cover back on and stick it back in the oven for at least another hour. 

LET IT REST for 15 minutes before taking the cover off.  then have some fun

I made baked potatoes for the R and the Queen and cubed steamed sweet potatoes for ME and creepy  okra and yellow squash only for the Queen.

This is amazing for so many cheap cuts of meat that can be made into "butta" if you cook them right.  You need to just do the low and slow method but adding an alcohol component takes care of the flavor element as well - don't be scared - just try it.  I used a super cheap roast so it wasn't like a $50 tenderloin I was messing with - this was a $3 a lb bottom round!  Experiment - but use some knowledge so you don't mess it totally up!  Have some fun folks!

And for those who don't know how to make a perfect baked potato - here ya go - 450 for an hour and DON'T poke it or cover it in anything - trust me.  It will be milky smooth in the middle!  Go for it!

Smile and the world wonders what the hell you are up to . . .  right :D

No comments:

Post a Comment