Friday, December 10, 2010

Can you say Fight Club?

I made Christmas Soup for Family tonight.  The Kids of course rejected it sight unseen because I said they "had to!"  Really?  so the mommy pulled rank and said, "fine, then you go hungry!"  Yes I expect social services to call since that is technically child endangerment - what with the carrots and celery and sirloin OH and the onion.  The stock that has been slow cooking for 2 days with the marrow is just too much I know - these kids really?  anyone? - if you think you want them and would be killing them less than me - call me - we can maybe work something out . . . .

Well,  I can't speak for past relation (hey Tim!) - I just know that it tasted really really good to me this year. The fact that I jacked it with an amazing marrow bone I roasted and then put in the stock and the 3 lbs of really good beef roast.. I am a super picky carnivore who really hates to eat out since someone else is touching something I am consuming. That takes a lot of trust. Have you seen FIGHT CLUB? Don't stick your stuff in my soup!

I have had friends and family jack me up because I really hate to eat out - okay yeah I'm cheap - but it's for multiple reasons - I love to cook - It really really really really is not a bother for me to make you XYZ - really - unless I'm on death's door? - hungover? (not really an issue) or sick ?(again not an issue) or pms "ing"(yeah you might want to just burger king the day sorry this is real) it's good - I got this.  BUT I really don't like restaurants.  I love chefs.  I do.  But food and I have issues.  I am allergic to most of it.  Does that mean I don't like it?  HELL NO!  BUT I also know food gets jacked up at the nicest of places - I have seen it happen - Yeah - I worked the food world - I was just the BarTender but did I see the stuff go in the stuff - YES - Yes I did.  Yes. It does happen. 
It happens more than we want to think. I hate restaurants. a lot. I trust me. Short of pulling an Uncle Ted and only eating what I kill . . . ( I would so do that if I had a million plus bucks and a lot of time - hey TED - call me!) but since I have less than an acre and "dog" really isn't my meat of choice - it's the store as my "range" but sorry I really really really truly sincerely LOVE TO F"N cook! I do - not kidding - love it! I don't do it for a living so maybe that's why I pull it off - but hey whatev!

Anyway - I enjoy cooking-  prep - searing - smelling - tasting the whole process from the store = smelling the stuff to the actual finished product that feeds the ones I love - it's FUN! I even get up extra early to watch Good Eats (Alton - you know you want me - you know you do  though I liked you with a little more meat on you!) and figure out what I am making for the up-coming holiday - party - whatever event!
 
I love cooking - eating is not so much the thing for me - it's kind of secondary.  I like to cook for those that can enjoy.  I can taste but not eat most of what I make.  I'm like the kid at the peanut allergy table - I hate to dis everyone for my issue - but really I can't - but hey - you can.  The difference is - it won't kill me!!!  Nice difference I think!
 
So for this particular evening - the jury is out.  Grown ups 3 kids 0 but Trinity was at a birthday party.  If I spin it that we (the cool people - aren't the cool people always WE?) win if she likes it!  I guarantee that YES it is good.  Okay all messing asside it really is good eats.  It just is. It is a family "it's not Christmas unless . . . . " for me and doesn't involve Chinese Food or a Movie (though I love Jews) it just is.  This is December.  It's cold here and I can put the HUGE VESSILE outside. Gotta love free storage!  Alton is in GA - doubt it's that cold there - though maybe tonight!  Sorry - WI makes Christmas great and living suck!  Just sayin. 
 
So to all a good night.  I have valances to sew and staple to boards because I certainly can't have people over if I haven't at the very least decorated.  I am learning the SOUTHERN way of things.  I have pretty much redecorated our entire house in 3 days because we MAY (may) may be having 5 people over from Roger's work.  Maybe.  OH MY DEAR SWEET JESUS!  AAAAAAAAAAA!  
 
So let's just say I haven't slept in 3 days and my nerves are raw.  But there will be good eats at the Howard home and there will be pretty curtains and valances. 
 
I will be posting soon about my recent discovery on fitness.  It will - okay maybe - be interesting.  stay tuned.  I have ideas and issues.  (yeah really I know you are thinking it!)  I am nothing if not a lab rat with red hair.  I do it for you because i care :D ttnf!

No comments:

Post a Comment