Monday, December 19, 2011

Riffing on a classic


Now.  Let it be noted for the record books.  I CAN play an instrument (flute) and therefore qualify as a musician.  First chair  - thank you very much though I sight read most of my lessons (hey Mr. Hale :D ) but I "so" get how music moves people.  The musicians I personally know and love are my favorite humans on the planet because they make something seemingly out of nothing.  They move the air with their instruments and shape sounds that resonate within the bones of my ears and more importantly my heart and soul.  Even if it's just a voice it moves me.  I can sing pretty well.  But I don't put myself on any pedestal when it comes to singing.  I don't suck.  Mr Oxley said so.  But great? nah.  Above average.  B+ maybe even A- if it's something I REALLY like.  But I don't really consider myself a musician.  I leave that to my beloved ones who can do it and do it really REALLY well.  To the beautiful lady who sits at the piano with no one around and plays and sings to herself and God for hours - you move me.  To the man who held an amazing place in music and still does and still can - I hope you never ever stop believing in what CAN happen just around the corner. 

I have always said it about myself - that I am best with someone Else's original idea and making it something great.  I certainly can write my own original material but I can take your good ideas and make them better.  It's one of the things I rock at.  Don't care if I get credit - it just kind of oozes out of me. 

So - if you've followed anything thus far this fall/winter you know I'm searching for home.  Home for me is a smell - a flavor - a sound.  It is officially Christmas time since I heard Feliz Navidad.  Whew.  Was a bit worried I'd not have Christmas this year since I hadn't heard it until last weekend!

But without Christmas Soup.  it just isn't.  BUT - okay let's be real.  I remember the crap "soup" that was served to us and Dear Lord Jesus in the manger - YUCK.  It was clear broth with MAYBE a string of beef and a half a carrot strip and a celery chunk.  AND then these GIANT sinker dumplings with RAISINS.  I hate raisins.  Always have.  Now they make me ill so shucks.  . . . Can't include them. 

SO - Katie - half way across the country from family needs the familiar but also a tweek.  Here's my Riff on the Andersen/Korn Christmas Soup from my whole life.  Read back from the beef roast post previous.  Roast the living crap out of some beef with bones with marrow.  I had probably 20 lbs of  beefy bony goodness roasted with carrots, celery and onion (mirepoix) I added mushrooms cuz I loves me some fungus.  SO from there I flooded the Roaster with some wine to scrape up the bottom but Got my huge stock pot ready - I poured all of that loveliness into the pot and added about 12 cups of water. 

DUMPLINGS (ala katie)

We've established I hate raisins so all bets are off on that crap

2 6oz packages of panko bread crumbs.  YES I am allergic to wheat.  Yes this will make me sick.  Tough.
8 large eggs.
1/2 cup white sugar
1 tsp sea salt

Mix and roll into balls as big or small as you want.  I like big balls and I can't deny . . . wait that's butts.  anyway that's what I do.  :D 

Let your dumplings rest in the fridge over night and if you live in WI or actually in VA at night - put your HUGE freaking pot outside.  BRING it back in during the day because temps over 35 are not good.   When you are ready - boil your soup and add dumplings - boil for at least 20 minutes but turn down from to simmer when full boil starts.  These dumplings WILL break apart if you are rough with them so if you don't want a pot of dumpling mush be gentle or remove them each time you want to heat the soup and then add them back.  Obviously they need to be removed from the fridge and put in the soup to reheat. 

I got the best - No.  BEST compliment from my version.  My husband.  A non-family tradition member said. . . AND I QUOTE "yum, that's good soup honey." 

I rock.  No guitar necessary.  Now bring me my whisk bitch. .. . :D

No comments:

Post a Comment