Friday, August 20, 2010

Girl on Grill

Sorry - I couldn't resist.  I have never thought I could grill.  At all.  Little did I know it was only beef that eluded me.  I can't grill a burger to save my sorry life.  Not gas, charcoal nor even the crazy - can't mess this up - George Foreman - I suck on the grilling of the beef.  SO I assumed I was sadly lacking the Grilling Gene.  UNTIL I wanted to make Thai Chicken Satay with Peanut Sauce.  Okay so I am a Thai ho.  I admit it completely.  I da ho!  Totally!  First thing you do is get on your bike wearing a backpack and ride to Sky Mart here in Manassas Park, VA and then buy way too much to carry home on your sad almost flat rear tire!  Oh wait that's just me - normal people DRIVE to the grocery store. 

So here's what you do - and I kid you not this is yummy times a million and really the first thing I've grilled that doesn't taste like shoe leather (not that I've really tried that but a few burgers I've made had to have been close!)
Thai Chicken Satay

2 lbs of Boneless skinless chicken THIGHS yes thighs - not breast not tenders THIGHs you will be sorry if you don't - yes more fat but remember folks fat is flavor - not kidding here! Take them and cut off most of the crazy fat and tendon if there's any left and chunk them to go on sticks.

Coconut milk (NOT CREME - we are not making Pina Coladas)  1 can  - you only need half so we will make coconut rice with the other half

1 chunk of fresh ginger peeled and then grated finely about 1 Tb - you will need to grate more for the peanut sauce to follow so just do it all about 3 Tbs total

1/3 cup molassas

1 Tb good fish sauce (like I would know if it was BAD fish sauce lol!)

A freaking ton of minced garlic (that's just me)

Marinate the chicken chunks in this for at least 4 hours.

I did not soak my skewers and they actually did burn up but it didn't matter too much to me - your mileage may vary so soak if you want.

Peanut sauce
1/2 cup chunky peanut butter
1/2 can coconut milk
1T fish sauce
1 ton of garlic minced (you get the trend here)
1 and 1/2 T of minced fresh ginger
3 T of Dark Brown Sugar (like there is another kind?)
1 stalk of LemonGrass (now the question is does this matter if you can't find it? I love it and can find it so easy so that's not a question for me - you? if it's a PITA and you won't make this without it - no it doesn't matter- if you can get it cut off the bottom 4 inches and mince it finely - if not a squirt of lemon and a touch of peel  and you are golden :D)
a 1/4 cup of really hot water to make this more sauce than solid

I would have added a serrano pepper (or 3) here but I am feeding an old woman as well as myself so I did not want cardiac arrest at the table - me - would have loved it :D

Now comes the grilling AND to add craziness to this I actually decided to grill crazy HUGE clams as well!  So stoke up your grill - and just grill the hell out of the chicken I'll post for the clams at a later date but let's just say I pretty much lapped those bad boys up the second they hit the garlic lemon sauce!!!

I just watched them and let them get "grilled" looking.  Aka slightly burned but done looking - sorry you really can't mess this up if you DID not crowd them on the skewers.  NOW just get them off the skewers and dip in the sauce and you will be good to go.  If you want to marinate longer it's better (so I've been told) but really according to Alton Brown longer is not better so you decide.  Alton rocks and that's all I can say on this matter.  Geeky Sciencey Red HEADs  with facial hair just do me in (hello Mythbusters :D! oh and HI Roger )
Any questions on technique I will happily answer but understand I was just faking it on the grilling part.  The charcoal and years of watching other more experienced grillers was all I did.  This really was a yummy yummy meal!

Oh the rice :D
Take one part rice (you decide the part) rinse it like mad in cold water (like 4 times) add in your 2 parts coconut milk and water.  So if you do 1 cup rice you will need 2 cups of coconut milk and water mix.  If you can't figure this out call me or email me but most likely I will make you feel like a dumb ass so I guess just don't LOL! Bring to a boil and then cover and lower heat to almost nothing and DON'T FREAKING LOOK AT IT!!!! for about 15 min.  Turn off  and eat with Gusto.  Or Tony - or whoever you want to eat this with :D Enjoy is all I say :D

No comments:

Post a Comment