Thursday, February 9, 2012

Guilty Pleasures

 So my next few posts will surround what we find as shame inducing - but still we do it.  :D  I'm not necessarily going the Paul's "what I do I don't want to what I want to do I don't do . . . " (read the Bible if you don't know what I'm talking about here) I mean the things we find as guilty pleasures that we find slightly naughty but so - well, nice to us anyway. 

I start first off with Music.  I am a self professed snob of a lot of things and music is certainly one of them.  I feel as someone who started playing in 5th grade and kept it up (pun) religiously  - that I know from music.  I can play it - read it and have (very badly) written it.  I like what I like what I like.  I shun those not in the fold of what I like and eshew that which I don't like.  Okay - I'm not THAT bitchy but I do have a bond with those who like the same music as I do (read -  quirky, of the time and very lately new new new). Music moves me more than anything - I've always been that way.  My first "GOD" experience was at a church (WELS!!!!) camp singing CONTEMPORARY songs and I actually felt His presence like I've never before.  I feel it still when worship gets really deep.  But it's always set to music.    Always.  Music connects or divides depending on your slant.  You would NOT get thousands of disco albums getting burned in a Chicago baseball stadium if people were like "meh, it's just music."  It's not.  Music is huge.  And therefore my topic of study recently.  I have so many guilty pleasures but as a snob I don't classify them as guilty because I personally see their merit and so can justify my love.  (justify my love - haha, yeah, Madonna's NOT on my list - sorry)

Neil.  Need I say more? nope didn't think so.  If you said YOUNG move to the back of the line.  OF course he has his merit but guilty pleasure he is so not and dear LORD would it kill him to wash his greasy hair?  (sorry - tangent) I mean Diamond.  If Brother Love sung by a JEW doesn't melt your cold heart nothing will.  Sweet Caroline makes me JUMP up and dash to the dance floor or crank up my IPhone  - guilty.  I think not.  He's a legend.  Bite me Roger.  :D

Meatloaf.  Shut up.  If you saw my 3rd wedding reception (second to Roger) in my parents garage - my sister and I singing and dancing to Paradise by the Dashboard Light - you would be all about it.  Or not.  whatever.  I wore out 2 tapes (yes I am THAT old) on Forensic (speaking - not cutting up people) buses because we would sing at the top of our stupid lungs.  I can still change out of jammies into some hot clothes without ANYONE seeing anything bad.  It's a skill.

Anything that was played at my 6-8th grade dances.  Slow or Fast.  Air Supply - Journey - Pat Travers - Skynard - Ozzy - Rush - Zeppelin - Sabbath - Maiden - Kiss - Fleetwood Mac - Head East.  shut up - I'm 42.  deal

I'm also really into Metal Evolution on VH1 Classic - I wish I had thought of this first.  Though I also wanted to be the bitch who tested out spa treatments around the world and got freaking PAID to go but again = clearly I'm not that smart.

Metal Evolution tracks the history of music (um okay Metal is kind of his slant - notice the title) but he does give profs to the roots - aka - classical, jazz, rock et al.  For a music history junkie like me - this is freakin CRACK.  I love it.  Kind of like Mr. Todd Oxley's painted wall in 6th grade tracing the history of music (yeah if you are not from Winneconne Wisconsin that means freaking nothing to ya :D )

SO - discuss - what's your guilty pleasure - I personally love SO much music these days.  Tool, 5 finger DP, Coldplay,  Skrillex (thanks Zak), Korn, Mudvayne (thanks Tim), Killswitch Engage, Hurt (again T), Altar Bridge, Sick Puppies, Fitz and the Tantrums (tell me that is NOT the best name -  I know right?), Grace Potter and the Nocturnals, GaGa (can't help it), RISE AGAINST (love love love again- Tim) Thousand foot crutch, Red, Azam Ali (captain D - you are amazing) Adele, TRAIN as always saw them love them in any way shape or form, Silversun Pickups, The Foo Fighters, Zombie - just cuz.  Deadmau5 because I really like electronica and as a runner you get that beat.  Chris Cornell could sing the f'n phone book and I would buy the album. He's just that guy. 

So any who - I've decided or I've been called to shake the rafters in your brain.  what music do you find you gravitate to in shame and in pleasure or both.  I won't judge. 

Oh hell yeah I will.  LOL I am a bitch after all.  I have far too many tattoos and piercings to get away with innocence.  And I'm too smart to let you off if you don't have a good explanation.  But I am nothing if not benevolent.  If you offer a good reason why you like Cher (and I do too - it's because I watched the Sonny and Cher show when Chastity was still a girl and variety shows still worked) I may let you off with a light spanking :D  Kidding - I love my peeps and love our brains - There will be more guilty pleasures to follow.  I am nothing if not sensual.  So there will be at least 6 of these :D

No comments:

Post a Comment